Monday, July 06, 2009

Vale Rivington Sundew


I suppose I have better photos of Sunny but this one was our stud advertisement published in the 1996 Australian Welsh Journal, the year that I became President of the Society.
Sunny was an FS2 Welsh B mare, cream in colour and one of the nicest mares I have bred, she has formed a wonderful line of mares for us and is all my breeding going back to her Foundation grandmother.
She was by a little used stallion, Glenmore Gawain and went back to my first Welsh Mountain stallion Fairway Penlyn, so a lot of memories were held in her small 12.2 body.
Her daughter Sunday shown as a foal at foot with her has been a multi multi champion and has bred many wonderful ponies who have also carried on the winning line. We still own Sunday and a much younger full sister Rivington SunSilk, also cream.
Ponies like this only come up once in a while and as a stud breeder I cherish them.
Sunny was born in 1983, at the end of a drought year so she was almost 26 when a short and very bad bout of colic, the first she has ever had, forced us into making the decision to have her put down.

2 comments:

Doreen G said...

I am so sorry Penny--this is a hard decision that has to be made even though it breaks our hearts.
Thankfully you have wonderful memories.

Karen said...

I'm sorry that she had to be put down. Like losing a close friend.