Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sundews and peacock madness




We went to visit friends for a quick lunch and on the way home on the back road these sundews were all in flower on the bank on the side of the road. They are one of our carnivorous plants and are really lovely. From their roots I believe you can make a dye, purple I think but I am not sure.
In the second photo you can see the sticky hairs on the leaves which trap small ants and flying insects attracted to the sundew they exude.
When we got home the peacocks were all behaving in a very silly fashion, the males are just starting to grow their tails so perhaps they are starting to show off to the females, but then again there may have been a fox around.
We had a very windy night but no rain.
I have been standing for too long, we went to the farmers market, not like Robyn of art propelled blogspots South African Market, where she can buy African artifacts and stuff as well as vegetables.
I bought 3 plants, 2 succulents and some thyme, some leeks, a bunch of rhubarb, cauliflour and mushrooms and if I didnt make my own bread I would have been very tempted with some sourdough.
I am trying to get some of my collections of 'things' into a box I found and have oiled that has divisions in it, actually I think it is a childs shadow box but I dont mind. I want to get some of the keys and bottle tops and possibly the kangaroo skull up, not to mention shells and rocks and feathers and other things I collect in my wanders.
I have been inspired by Robyn's blog and others who make collections.

No comments: