Sunday, March 26, 2006

Painting in shadows


I had a very interesting, and tiring week end in Adelaide going to the painting for travellers workshop with Peter Bok. The area he lives and has his studio in was one of the least fashionable areas in town, now transformed into modern townhouses etc but his is a lovely old bungalow with garden. Any way this was one of our exercises, using a photo (yes a photo!!) of one of our local churches this was to get angles and shadows in and I found it a very interesting exercise to do. Not that this is in any way right but it has taught me a lot more about where things should go. Again using 3 colours, although this time burnt sienna. yellow ochre and ultramarine. I am stil having trouble laying down my colours but felt much more condident as the week end went on. (And I have to say felt I had a better handle on it than at least half the class!!) I will probably get more up through the week.

7 comments:

Robyn said...

This is very good, Penny! I wish he would come to Sydney to do a workshop. It looks like he some good ideas. I hope that you are going to post more of your pictures for us to see.

Cheers,
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles

Lin said...

VERY NICE, Penny! And what a treat to spend so much time focused on art!

Linda said...

Very nice, Penny! Sounds like you've had a good experience. And it's perfectly all right to work from photos -- don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
:-)

melissa said...

I like the sepia against the blue sky.

Donn said...

I think you did a great job with the shadows. A very nice painting in the making. You handled the 3 colors very well. Wish I could do as good as this. Guess I'll have to try something like this. Thanks for the inspiration/

Clare said...

I really like this Penny you have done a beautiful job.

Anonymous said...

Another favourite for me Penny. This watercolour is flawless. How clever you are.