Thursday, September 27, 2012

a few more pictures of what I bought and saw.

 The top photo shows two twined baskets,the larger one I bought in Injalak and is made by Heather Nawirridj.
I do know that the little one is by a very well known basketmaker Roslyn Nayilibitj who is now 72, initially I bought it as it had the different dyes in it that are used. Such a nice  small thing and lovely to have.
She is also part of the Injalak art center.
There are also 2 sets of clap sticks, one painted and one polished wood, that one I bought at the markets.In the bowl are three strands of beads, one a shell one and one just seeds and one seeds but some are painted. Loved them.
Next is a painting I bought by RayFrith, just loved the colours and the way it reminds me of the country we flew over on the way to Darwin.
My favorite piece of weaving, a stingray made byAlison Gunanjguwanj which I bought at the Maningrida Art outlet in Darwin, lovely stuff there.
Finally the lovely door on a ute parked next to us with the Brolgas painted on it. I just had to take a photo.
We saw Brolgas in the distance, once I saw Brolgas here on our farm, a long time ago, now they are more confined to the tropics I think.
Off to bed, it has been very warm today and tomorrow they promise high winds and thunder and if we are lucky some rain.
Had a huge day today, shopping and up to collect oysters, I seem to have done nothing but drive.
Thanks to all who have commented, I havent finished with Darwin yet!


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

oohhhhhh I love your purchases especially the painting and stingray!

Julie said...

Such great purchases, Penny!!! Love Ray Frith's painting!

Robin Mac said...

You have had a wonderful time shopping - I love the paintings. Brolgas are still in southeren inland Queensland as well as the tropics, I dont know about NSW. I love watching them. Cheers

Anonymous said...

I like the painting and the weaving is interesting as well.

Jo Murray said...

Looks like a great experience all round Penny. You must have a fascinating collection of souvenirs.