Monday, August 22, 2011

Yesterday

John and I had a long tiring and very enjoyable day yesterday as members of the Waterhouse Clubs expedition to Red Creek near Moculta at the back of the Barossa Valley. the Waterhouse Club is a fund raising and expediton arm of the Adelaide museum and these days are usually headed up by some one very knowledgeble in their field. This was one to see the variety of rock, old, very old volcanic signs and some very enigmatic worm cast type fossils.
We left at 7 am to get there a bit before 10 am going through the Adelaide hills, stunning scenery and all the prunus in the small towns was out and at its best. We had never gone on part of this road before, some though was very familiar to me as we have to go through part of it to get to some of the horse Shows.
After every one had arrived we headed off up and over the bony hills and down almost to the Murray River plains but stopped to walk up what they know as Red Creek, wombat holes and yam daisies and huge river red gums and a pleasant walk for a while until we got to the creek which I found a bit difficult to negotiate but that was of course where all the geological bits were. I didnt make it to the fossils as I knew I had done an awful lot of walking over 3 hours and that is far more than I have done for ages so I sat and sketched (on my other blog), I did see photos later.
We headed back for a very late and delicious lunch and I dropped in to see another SALA exhibition in the hall over the road, actually quite good, better than a lot I had seen.
We did take a small wrong turn which gave me the opportunity to take a photo of the lovely Lutheran Church in Eden Valley, this area was all settled by the German settlers fleeing religious persecution early in the 1800 and the towns all have Lutheran churches and the roads have lots of German names and they started the wineries in the area. Lots of stone walls, all hand made when labor was cheap and land needed to be cleared.
We couldnt go on to the Copper mine the others were heading for as we had an over 2 hour drive home. and the sunset is what greeted us as we headed into the valley.
Double click on the mosaic to see the photos better.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Suztats said...

Sounds like a nice day.