Friday, August 12, 2011

Skye Cellars and Auldana winery

Not sure if this heading is absolutely correct but I spent yesterday in Adelaide with P who amongst a lot of other things took me up here and we were shown through the old cellars that were cut into the hill. This is where those lovely old baskets are and the cog is where bottles were taken down in baskets to be stored in the hollowed out caves, which are now rented out for people to put their own bottles in.
Absolutely fascinating as this goes back to John's forbears who started all of this in the mid 1800's.
I had never been here before, remember I am not a city person.
We had a lovely but tiring day, we found a wonderful glass studio too but I will do that one tomorrow.
We have a festival on called SALA South Australian living artists and this month there are a lot of studios and galleries open and you can wander around visiting them. I have even discovered that an aunt of mine is included, so I hope we have some time to look over the week end.
Bit tired today, well suddenly guests for tomorrow night, I think, coming from interstate to collect the little mare we are leasing them.
Better go and make sure the spare room is ready!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Wanda..... said...

Very interesting post, Penny. We have a local winery, but no hollowed out caves in the hillside for storage.