Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Allotments




On India Flint's blog here she has a competition about allotments, on my other blog here I have written about my ideal allotment but here are some photos I took of allotments at Berwick upon Tweed. Usually I see allotments from any train I am in and they flash past so fast there is no hope of a photo and even a sketch is only what is imprinted upon my brain, and usually that is not enough.
So when we were walking and I found these I had to take some photos. The quality isnt terribly good as the sun was in the wrong place.
These are going into winter and I have written about a summer garden, most of the vegetables have been gathered and I suppose a lot are left fallow until next year.
They have always interested me and I feel that they are so important and there are now many inner suburban gardens where people live in high rise flats. Here in Australia high rise is only really just beginning and we have always had 1/4 acre garden block with vegies and fruit trees, now alas the gardens are much smaller. Adelaide was begun on some of the most fertile and productive soil in the state, such a waste to put houses on it.
I believe very firmly that the young of today need to be educated in how to have a pretty and yet productive garden but alas it is too easy to go to the supermarket and buy instead of growing your own.

1 comment:

Wanda..... said...

Everything looks so green and beautiful there Penny...the green has turned to mostly brown here!