Saturday, September 09, 2006

Spring Flowers

Time I dont seem to have a lot of, yesterday cleaning the house and organising for our local Mayor and his wife for dinner, it does help that they are friends but I still had to clean the house and think about a decent meal for them.
Today I raced up to Adelaide, not to see my mother but to go to the Cloth Doll and Decorative Arts exhibition and take up the biscuits I had made. I had a lovely time buying a few bits and pieces and seeing friends.
Then drove home to listen to my football team win their match. Hooray as they had been in a bad patch. Finals fever is upon us.
So I sat and sketched this vase of flowers that I had picked for the table last night, I think these are the last of the daffodils and some freesias and some white large scilla, I am not sure which scilla but they were called Spanish ones when I bought them. I must look them up. The vase is a lovely two tone modern piece of glass from my mother. Pen and pencil.
I was looking for some Salvia Ulginarus ( bog sage) but couldnt find any but in one nursery that I called into I found an Astelia Silver Spear, a New Zealand plant I have admired in the gardens over there and as it was reduced stifled my cries of glee and brought it home.
Luckily a friend has some Bog sage I can have, one nursery told me it was a weed, maybe but I love it in my wild garden and some how I had lost it.
I am re reading the book of letters between Christopher Lloyd who died early this year and Beth Chatto, I met both of them when they came out to lecture in Melbourne and that was my 50th Birthday present, nearly 17 years ago now, and although I never got to Great Dixter John and I did get to Beth Chatto's wonderful garden. You would never think my garden was in the Open Garden Scheme now but I do get enthusiastic at this time of the year.---so do the weeds.
Great news too that a pony I still own but is leased out today as a yearling Welsh Section A won her class, was Junior Champion , Senior Champion, Supreme A and then Supreme Welsh at our Royal Show. Champagne with dinner tonight.

4 comments:

Lin said...

Hi Penny!! GREAT GREAT SKETCH!! Love the flowers and the story!!!! I SO love learning about the flowers you have 'across the river!'

Teri said...

Wonderful flowers Penny! Love your jump into spring.

Linda said...

My goodness -- did you do all that in one day? I'm tired just reading about it! :-D
Great drawing of the flowers. As we in North America approach autumn, it is wonderful to be able to experience spring flowers again -- and we'll be able to enjoy summer through your blog, too. Isn't that just the neatest thing!?!

Anonymous said...

A spring delight Penny - love the colours... you are so clever and have a wonderful eye for composition.