Sunday, January 05, 2014

Around the garden

I am having trouble finding a time to write my blog, family now in residence, large teenagers! The slow internet and the fact that so far we havent had much of a warm summer, a lot of rain, so much I think we may have to hack our way out of the garden!. Its blowing a gale today and cool and it is all a bit unlike summer, although having said that we are told we had the hottest year on record last year, well it wasnt down here, and we had our above average for rain, so I am not sure how they calculate that, I think it depends on where you live.
Making money for some one I feel on all this climate change stuff, off course the climate is changing but you have to look at at least 100 years of data which they dont, we are an official rainfall station and we have over 100 years of rainfall data, and yes there are trends, both up and down, all I can say is, we have hot years, and we have cool years here, we have plenty of rain and we have droughts, it all goes in cycles and no year is the same as the last.
So in my little corner of the world that is what we base our findings on. Sometimes I think farmers know more than any scientist.
As you can see my garden is lush this year and we have plenty of rain so far to keep it so.
Think we might have a scorcher of a February and March though!
Off to wash more dishes and do more clothes washing. I am not used to a full house any more.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Barry said...

Hi P - had to laugh about the teenagers and how much space they can take up. We are scorching up here - big change to the cold weather we were in in NY. All the best for 2014 - may our paths cross blog wise if not physically. B

Gwen Buchanan said...

I agree with you Penny. Framers are in touch with the land and the weather.. they know how it affects the world. The weather men should be consulting them!

Robin Mac said...

I tried to comment a couple of days ago, but lost the lot when I clicked on publish so hopefully today will be better. Your garden certainly looks lush, mine is cooking as we have had no rain and very high temps. I think you are going back to those again also. Oh well, it is summer! Cheers

Robin Mac said...

I tried to comment a couple of days ago, but lost the lot when I clicked on publish so hopefully today will be better. Your garden certainly looks lush, mine is cooking as we have had no rain and very high temps. I think you are going back to those again also. Oh well, it is summer! Cheers

Hildred said...

So nice to hear someone being sensible about climate change, Penny.

Penny Berens said...

Oh, how I would love "a scorcher' up here for February and March!