Saturday, December 30, 2006

Old Wife

This rather beautiful fish goes under the name of "Old Wife" I am not sure why and as I am an old wife it pleases me.
I sketched this on Kangaroo Island from a photo as I didnt have the fish in front of me. They are found around jetties in schools and we used to occasionally get one when we were diving, I think they are found around all but the tropical areas of Australia according to the book I have.
I felt I would like to put up a sketch instead of a photo and I am still knitting my second sock and taking ages over it so that wont do and I am trying to finish up some tags for a tag swap but they are not finished either.
This time between Christmas and New Year is always a bit messy I think, people coming and going the excitement is over but mundane things must be done.

3 comments:

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

'Old Wife'? What a strange name for a very interesting looking fish! Maybe she is overdoing it with the decorations - just like mutton trying to be lamb?
Yes, it's a strange time between Christmas and New Year - still catching up with friends and eating leftover pork etc. and wondering how many more days it will be okay to eat it!
W.

Teri said...

What a funny name and what a neat sketch. I love the saucy look on the face.

Julie Oakley said...

Ha ha. And at what age did you think you were an old wife? I find my level of exhaustion and the amount of daylight there is affects my perception of my age. Feeling quite elderly today.