Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Carrick Hill


I saw my mother, a long drive up through damp and wintry hills. An accident on the Freeway and I would think another death, a motor cycle and a car. We have lost so many this year.
Flowers bought and a new pair of shoes that I hope will be comfortable.
Found my way to my mother and didnt recognise her, she is thin and frail and they have cut her hair and all the spark and spunk has gone from her.
After I had arranged her flowers I took her down the front so she could see the world and get some fresh air, cold but far better than the smell where she now is.
I know they do their best, but oh hell its awful.
My friend P came towards the end of my visit and she always makes life more interesting, and a dear lady originally from Glasgow who lives there came by and regailed us with funny stories.
So what I was dreading wasnt quite so bad.
P decided we needed to go to Carricki Hill to see the Horace Trennery exhibition that was on there. My mother was very friendly with the second Lady Hayward, but the house was built for the first.
It is a strange place, overlooking Adelaide it has its entrance towards the hills and the south, it is dark and gloomy with dark paneling and stuff that was brought out before the war from the UK.
I find it rather depressing, and is probably the nearest we have to a Stately Home. It was left to the State Government and I have to say a lot has been done to the gardens, but I really found most of the paintings terribly dark except 2 which I will put up tomorrow.
The Trennery's look as if on the whole he played with mud in his oils. There were about four I would take home and the rest were very poor. The composition was ok, but the colours were awful. I know he was terribly poor, and there is the tale of a stolen chicken so perhaps he eaked his oils out with something that has not been good over the years.
The last photo is one of the best of his, taken from a postcard so the colour has been played around with a bit I think.
The first two photos are ones I took this morning, of the garden and the front of the house, a bit damp looking and it poured as we left and it is a long way to the car park!
The next two are scans of a brochure which again doesnt like being scanned but it does give some idea of it all.
So a long day by the time I got home, rather like the curates egg, good in parts.


3 comments:

Wanda..... said...

It's terribly hard to see one's mom in a nursing home, my mother spent her last few months in one, just a few minutes from here, so I could visit her everyday! She too became very small and frail.

♥...Wanda

shirley said...

Glad You saw your mum, Penny, and were able to take her out into the fresh air and spend time with her. We both hate the thought of nursing homes, they are sad places.

The stately home sounded a bit dreary, although in the photo of the entry they have added light. Some of the old paintings can have some dull colours, although I didn't mind the colours of the print, but as you say touched up.

Sometimes i wonder about some of the art I see too that is supposed to be top notch stuff...

Anyway glad your day turned out ok.
cheers,
shirley

annie said...

Those visits with your mum are sad, I know,Penny, but, as everyone says, it is so good that you can still take her out into the fresh air that she enjoys. No matter how she gets, she will probably always be comforted to be with you.
annie