Friday, May 30, 2008

Something different


I am hoping my friend Virginia can tell me what this is all about. It is Turkish and I bought it in a museum in San Diego. I love hands and that is what first attracted me to it, and the metal, and the bit of weaving, but I had no idea what it was for, some sort of good luck charm perhaps? I do know that in some countries glass bead eyes are tucked into babies shawls for good luck.
The house is clean, for 5 minutes, I have done nothing productive since I got home and am feeling I need to get on and do stuff.
I have got the first part of my lesson from Angela Jerecki today which I am about to start and am now finding fabrics. I am really looking forward to it, this is a mermaid and I havent done a doll for ages.

2 comments:

Kate North said...

Well, I don't know for sure, but is it to ward off the evil eye? A lot of eye charms are for that purpose. Anyway, it's gorgeous.

Penny said...

Virginia emailed me and said that the hand represents the Hand of Fatimah which is a popular decorative motif for jewelry in the Islamic world. the blue bead is to keep the evil eye away. altogether a most useful talisman to have.