Sunday, September 06, 2009

freesias from the garden



I have nothing to show for what I did today, although I have had a late walk and all the houses I can see in the valley have smoke coming from chimneys and there was misty rain at the end of the valley. At least the wind has stopped, I opted for a late walk as it was so windy. I notice that the big plum tree and some of the smaller ones in the orchard are out.
We had to get a pony gelding who had got out back into his paddock this morning. It always happens when Sarah and the girls are away. I havent heard how they have done but it was Adelaide Royal this week and next and that is where they are. I dont think I am going, the first time I havent been in about 40 years but I dont think my knee will hold up to it. I am still struggling a bit which is increasingly annoying me.
Any way John then took me around to see all the other ponies, I think we have far too many but they all look well and the cow paddocks are growing well. We also put up 10 kangaroos in one of the close paddocks much to John's annoyance.
I picked these freesias and they are nestled amongst owls and altered books etc and smell divine.
Robin asked me how big my lino cut was and here it is, 6 x 4 inches and will do very well for the next bit of the Holey Moley Club which is Lines.
I have been re reading some of W.B Yeats poems, some I love some I dont care for but this quote caught me eye today

"Put off that mask of burning gold
with emerald eyes.
O no, my dear, you make so bold
to find if hearts be wild and wise,
and yet not cold."

3 comments:

Wanda..... said...

I loved your little owls and cats and You have made me want to create an altered book with my youngest granddaughter...

BT said...

What a lovely photo of those gorgeous yellow fresias, your owls and books. And the lino of course. Yeats spent quite a bit of time in Ireland and carved his name in a tree at Coole Park near here. I mentioned it in my latest post. If you google Coole Park.ie you will read about it. I think you'll be interested.

Karen said...

I love freesias but the squirrels always seem to find them and eat them up before they get a chance to bloom.