Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Looking at stuff over at Yankalilla.

We went over to see what my grandmothers cottage looked like. So sad it it is derelict with huge patches of salt damp and grass in the gutters. Such a shame but a new house has been built near by and I found it interesting that the cottage over the road is still looked after and looking lovely. I think I last stayed in it when I was 11, then it was sold so about 1950. I remember it as charming but pretty primitive. Kerosene lamps, water from the well, wood stove and a wash in a bowl by the stove. Ice came on the bus. From there we went to the cemetrey to look for any sign of relatives. There were non to be seen but this lovely beast looked over the fence at us. John is still doing some ancestry research but every so often we come to a dead end. A lovely morning.

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

It is always sad to see an old cottage which holds such a lot of history falling into disrepair and finally falling down altogether. Living in an area full of old cottages, many of which have been 'done up' there are some which are in ruins.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, seeing the old house brought back some memories to you for sure. I love looking at the stones in old cemeteries. I always wonder what the world was like when those buried there were alive.
xx, Carol

Gwen Buchanan said...

This is very interesting, Penny