Sunday, January 25, 2009

Patchwork hearts


I have been making hearts, this one is for a friend with cancer in the hope of getting her through it. I have been having a lot of fun doing them, very simply, a base of fabric, I used tea dyed cotton, then torn strips laid over the top and sewn on with some fancy patterns from my machine. I made a template out of freezer paper and after a tiny bit of free motion sewing I folded the new cloth over right sides up and sewed almost all the way around the edge, placing a piece of folded ribbon in to make a hanger, left a tiny bit and stuffed it, sewed up the hole I stuffed through and then made a bow from some fancy threads, added a charm and some beads and that was it. Effective and fun and easy to make.
I made a tag from some rusted paper I had made.
Tomorrow is Australia Day and we will go to the ceremony in the morning in town and then a walk on the beach and we have to get something from Yankalilla then collect my dolls and go to John and Tabby's for dinner, sounds lovely.
What is not so lovely are the high temperatures they are focasting for next week, just hope some idiot doesnt light a fire.

3 comments:

Doreen G said...

What a lovely heart Penny and an even lovelier thought behind it.
Like you I am not looking forward to the hot weather--I am so over it this year.

Kate North said...

This is lovely - also like the altered book from a few posts back. I picked up some old books at a jumble sale with the intent to alter them but... maybe someday.

Anonymous said...

Very cute and I'm sure whomever gets it will appreciate the thought and kindness that went into it, I know I would.