Monday, October 26, 2009

Eltville



This is in the midst of the wine growing area and so there are old presses dotted around the place, this was outside an old castle I think, or a fort, there were a lot of Roman ruins around this area. I have no doubt Virginia will tell me I am quite wrong, my excuse being that I was jet lagged at the time!!
This is in the process of being restored in places, whatever it was it had a wonderful garden in it, the walls were quite magnificent as you can see.
I am never quite sure of the origins of the next castle looking building, I think it is now a hotel, but it dominates the area and looks quite magnificent. It seems to be all part of the previous area but again I am not absolutely sure.
The last photo is to prove that two old people made it to Eltville, a friendly shop keeper with not much to do took the photo of us both. I think we are in front of a well of some kind.
We did actually drink a lovely riesling from this area but of course I cant remember the name of the winery who made it.
It is amazing how when you get home there are huge gaps in your memory, and of course you forgot to write it down at the time.

2 comments:

Robin Mac said...

Welcome home Penny, good to see you are back. I love the photos - have you shrunk a lot, I had forgotten John is so much taller than you!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time anyway. I shall keep looking every day to keep up with the photos as you load them. Cheers,
Robin

Karen said...

I love the stone wall very pretty and of course the picture of the two of you is a great.