Monday, March 05, 2007

My grand mother's sampler


Sharonb in her' in a minute ago' blog said that her husband had found some samplers which made me go and have another look at the one my grand mother did. She was 10 years old and it was done in 1878. It is a little faded so I have enhanced the colour a bit after I photographed it. I think it is probably cotton thread done on linen.
I wonder if I should be making sure it goes to some textile museum or something or still be kept in the family, a rather vexing question.
Susannna Garnett was born in England and came to Australia to try to stop her from eloping and here she promptly eloped with my grand father (or so family history goes). I met her as a small child, a tiny autocratic woman but never my grand father.
Today was a trip to Adelaide to see my mother, she is well but it is so depressing, I took her for a coffee, she loves to get out and see other people and I dont blame her.
I then proceeded to buy a pair of sandals I hope I will wear.
Came home to hear of the death of an aquaintance that I liked. Not totally unexpected to us but apparently to her family it was. Very sad.

4 comments:

Doreen G said...

How wonderful that you have this piece of you history -it is hard to know what to do with it.

sharonb said...

Penny - thanks for pointing me to this post - Aussie samplers are collectors pieces - keep it in the family if you can or if no one appreciates it donate it to the Embroider's guild as their collection is looked after maintained, and documented for future generations. I am sorry to hear about your friend

Lil said...

I have a sampler from my great grandmother from 1854 ( I think this is correct from my memory as it is being stored right now) and it is just lovely. To think that young girls did these make it even more precious!

Linn said...

Yes, you should see that it is preserved and made part of the body of Australian stitching. I am very interested in seeing samplers that are transition stitching. I am keenly interested in how long it takes embroidery to take on a "local flavor" as opposed to imported colonial ideas from the mother country. You have a very typical "English" sampler of the period and your stitching and way of approaching needlecraft has the bright and breezy style of a true Aussie.