Saturday, February 11, 2006

drawing workshop


Well I am home very tired, with my head going around and around. I will post the life drawing I did, I have never used charcoal before and it was messy but fun, felt a lot freer using it. We used each other as models so we all had our clothes on! I know the head is too big and there is a lot of messy stuff, but I was quite pleased as at least it looked like the pose. As well as doing that we did exercises to free us up, still life, splattering with found objects and a few other exercises I cant remember. Our teacher was good, not too critical at this stage but a bit into inner self and expressing our selves, being in the 60's age bracket that does not come easily to me as we were all taught to not show our feelings and be brave so therefore I suppose we didnt think much about what our inner feelings were. Some times I am not sure that is such a bad thing, the let it all hang out brigade sometimes dont realise how hurtful they can be. Any way I find it hard to analyze myself and try very hard not to analyze other people. I certainly dont think about what I am trying to express in painting, but then when I am jounaling I am trying to show what I see. This may all change after these lessons and no one will know me!

5 comments:

Terri said...

I think this is a fantastic start Penny! Well done. You really captured the essence of the pose very well. You should be very pleased with yourself. :o)

Felicity Grace said...

Well done! Classes are VERY intimidating so be gentle on yourself. Perhaps as you get to know the students they will tell you how worried they were too! Looking forward to following your progress!

Lin said...

Nicely done, Penny! Great sketch of the pose ... I can just SEE IT!

Linda said...

Penny -- keep playing with the charcoal and you'll find it is wonderfully fun and freeing. I love to play with charcoal on cheap newsprint, and then just throw away most of what I do! :-)
I also love your comment about the "let it all hang out brigade"
:-D

Teri said...

You have really captured the essence of the pose and well on the way to getting even better!