Sunday, August 08, 2010

The other coast



It was forcast to rain today so john and I set off early to go walking on the other coast, the Gulf coast near Normanville. It was quite cold but pleasant walking weather.
The little beach we went to has been a favorite of mine since I was a child and had a grandmother living near who we visited during school holidays so it was a shock to see the sea weed.
Mountains of it looking like great sea beasts, I have never seen sea weed like this on what is usually a gorgeous sandy beach where I can always find a cowrie or two. Not today.
A lot of things one doesnt usually see, lots of sponges and sea urchins and pebbles and a few shark eggs and that was it.
You can see that backing it are high steep hills and further along the coast headlands reach out into the gulf.
A wonderfully exhilarating walk non the less and although when we went inland searching for the advertised galleries they were not much and we missed one entirely we were home for hot soup for lunch and I have frozen ever since.
Still trying to go through back copies of newsletters in my research for the Australian Welsh Pony and Cob Society's history and how our State related to it.
As publicity officer for many years I should have it at my finger tips but not on the computer! It was all before computers.
So back to the research.

4 comments:

Suztats said...

Looks like a beautiful spot for a walk! Do you gather the seaweed to use in your gardens?

Julie said...

Reminds me of the Pacific coast here...California and Oregon! GORGEOUS!!!!!

Hildred said...

A lovely walk, - I guess the seaweed has it's compensations as a mulch in gardens, but it does take away from the pleasure of the sandy beach. Do you have an explanation as to why there is so much more now than in your childhood?

Hildred said...

A lovely walk, - I guess the seaweed has it's compensations as a mulch in gardens, but it does take away from the pleasure of the sandy beach. Do you have an explanation as to why there is so much more now than in your childhood?