Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In the garden

I have just taken these photos a few minutes ago. the garden is soggy and some of the winter flowers are damaged after the deluge of over 44 mm and the wind on Monday night but the sun was out and I needed a walk. the little blue wren was hopping around hoping I would disturb some insects. Not sure if this is a male or female, as the young males look like females at this time of the year. We have several families who claim territories in different parts of the garden but they are so tiny, and so quick I never seem to be able to get a good photo.
We call them the flying mice.
We have a large branch down off the liquidamber, luckily not the one near the house, and the quince still is holding some autumn colour.
My camellias are getting ready to put on a brave show although the first out, Debutante is almost over. The Cootamundra wattle is just starting to show its golden orbs, and jack in a pulpit was hiding amongst his leaves at the base of the pin oak.
Winter cheer is coming into flower and the datura still had some flowers and buds and my tree dahlia miraculously managed to not be flattened to the ground.
By the back door the tall sedum is starting to flower, sometimes this gets knocked by frosts but not this year, although it had a hard summer .
My poor garden is showing signs of great neglect, I have not been able to do much since I had the knee repair and now the hip is not helping(or to tell the truth my shoulder) but I will tidy it up just before spring, so long as it is not too boggy to get into it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Soggy is a word for here too, yesterday was the first day of summer and it rained of course! My garden is showing signs of neglect as well! Yours looks pretty good though, Penny!

virginia said...

All those lovely flowers at the beginning of winter. Quite amazing!