Friday, September 22, 2006

First foal for the year


This is what I saw when I went for my walk this morning, our first foal and not the one I was expecting, two more have waxed up so I guess they will foal either tonight or tomorrow night. This one is a filly and the first foal for this little Welsh Section B mare. She will go grey like her mother eventually. It is always exciting to have the first one, then you hope that the rest will have them safely.
I used to be up every 2 hours watching to see that all was well but inevitably they had had them inbetween my 2 hours and if there is a problem I would be too late any way so now I get up at dawn and check that all is well.
I had a very quiet day apart from that as my torn muscle in my side kept me awake most of the night, sitting wasnt very comfortable and so I sorted out my beads which meant I was standing for most of the time.
Grand children arrived off the bus and I think their mother will be home late tomorrow night as they left Alice Springs this afternoon.
Gale force winds but very little rain. Not good for our pastures.

1 comment:

Jana Bouc said...

Oh, it's so beautiful and has such soft looking fur. I'd love to be able to see them close up. I'm so sentimental about animals I would have a hard time if anything went wrong.