Saturday, September 23, 2006

EDM Challenge Favorite shop

I went over to Pt Elliott the other day, which is a neighbouring small town on the coast and the old main street is full of these fascinating cottages that have been turned into shops, I am not sure if the one on the corner is really on quite such a slope but the road goes up and down and the impression is definetly of slanting cottages. This one I find dangerous to go into as it has all sorts of "stuff" from old lace and threads to new material, books second hand stuff, you name it they have it.
These little cottages are very typical of the style built I think around the 1880's in all the old areas of the south coast towns.
Several Coffee shops and one a friend of mine lives in that was a shop but is now their home with the porcelaine dolls she makes and the wonderful chocolates he makes as side lines. Their garden out the back although tiny is a delight.
I have to say that where I shop normally is a large shopping complex devoid of any character at all.
If I had to retire I would think about living in this small town, but out the back in the new area it is not so nice.
I think there are spelling mistakes all over the place in my blogs, sorry Virginia but what can you expect from a slightly dyslexic whose mind runs on faster than her fingers!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penney, this is a great drawing and I love the story about the cottages! I know what you mean about 'dangerous' shops to visit... I like the same things you do: old lace, ebroidery, silver trinkets.... Maybe it's a good thing I live on the other side of the world from you - it would be too much of a temptation to go shopping!

Jana Bouc said...

What sweet little stores. Great drawings--I love all the detail!

Anonymous said...

Your drawing is excellent and the colors are so cheerful! Good job!

Teri said...

How interesting and what a neat sketch. You need to put this one in the travel bonus section on EDM.

Linda said...

This is a cute little group of stores -- great drawing!

Lin said...

BEAUTIFUL sketch, Penny and AWESOMELY DONE!!! I can easily see why this would be a favorite!!!