Saturday, July 05, 2008

Today I bought a book

Nothing unusual in that I buy lots of books but when I saw this on a throw out table I grabbed it.
It is one woman's ( Jean Holabird) description and thoughts in watercolor and poems of what it was like during the days and weeks afterwards when she was allowed back in to the red zone where she lived.
I have never been to New York and never saw the twin towers but I was one of the first allowed in to America after the shut down.
    I was going to Doll U in Oakland California, on my own and then on to visit friends in San Diego and Houston before going on to Germany to stay with a friend.
    At Doll U I met a young woman who was lucky, her railway station was under the twin towers but that day she had to be in another part of New York, we talked and talked about what it felt like.
    While I was in America and before I left those images of the twin towers and the subsequent carnage were shown on TV over and over again.To me the whole thing was a very upsetting and moving experience and this book somehow encapsulates a time in my life I will never forget.


No comments: