Saturday, March 04, 2006

Snakes and heat


Well this is not my usual style at all, ( except in my travel sketchbooks when I am in a hurry). This morning I was told one of the foals was on the road, daughter and grand daughters at a show, husband gone fishing, as usual when a disaster it is only me to fix it. Managed to get the foal back in(after catching her unco- operative mother) and then found a mare who should have been in another paddock was in the fenced off bit between, no gate. Stinking hot, I am in shorts and runners and while investigating with bucket in one hand and halter in the other I nearly trod on a large black snake who shot off into the high grass around the dam. By now I am red in the face and not happy. The upshot is that I got her a bucket of water and left her where she was until I have some help. She couldnt get up to where the snake was thank goodness. I am still hot and bothered but at least now I can have the day to myself, I hope.

3 comments:

Sue Seibert said...

Hey, that's what a journal is for...to draw/write what is happening, and you did! Sounds like you live somewhere hot...I'm in Texas, and it has been over 100 this week!!

Teri said...

This is great Penny! Years from now you will look at it and recall the day exactly all because you sketched it! Quick sketches really capture the essence of the day.

Linda said...

THAT sounds like a hectic morning! I love that you journaled all about it!