Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Painting class


This just goes to show how much I dont know about watercolour painting. I need to practice a lot more drawing, my trees are awful but it was an interesting but tiring day and I did learn a lot. We used three colours only, some slightly different depending on the view we decided to paint, my triad was lemon yellow, cobalt blue and alazarin crimson. I have never really mixed colours before and I couldnt believe how many colours those three would make for me. I had put trees on the Island and they looked awful so they got wiped out although you can still see some of the outlines. Today will probably be much worse, 2nd days always are.
We had a good dinner and it was lovely to see Tweetie again, but I am so tired.

7 comments:

Lin said...

I LIKE IT!! aND YOU KNOW, at least on the computer screen,that dabbed out green looks like patches of potential grass - a very nice effect!

Anonymous said...

I think your watercolour is terrific Penny!!

Marilyn said...

Wow, Penny. Very good. I am just starting to playw ith watercolor. I need to take a beginning class.

Anonymous said...

Oh, instead, let's say what's right about it. You got some very good effects with the clouds and it's good to put people in a painting to add some liveliness. The hills look soft and golden and you're getting some good experience with glazing and incorporating a variety of textures. I hope Day 2 will be rewarding with more growth and enjoyment.

Teri said...

Penny, you did great! You mixed such nice colors and the scene is all there and looking nice.

I am also taking a watercolor class and we are still doing washes! But I think I could practice those for a month....and we may :)

Linda said...

Penny, I think this is a great first round of play with watercolor! Art classes are exhausting, too -- I think we just put so much mental and physical energy into the whole thing that it wipes us out. :-)

Anonymous said...

Such a serene composition, I love the scale that the human figures provide. Just a lovely, lovely picture Penny.