Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Museum window


I sketched this very quickly the other evening while waiting for John to go back to the car, probably only had about 7 minutes so it is a bit rough but I rather liked these windows, they make the building, I must go back with the camera and try to take a photo. The museum is on North Tce and there are a row of rather lovely buildings along there.
I spent many happy hours in the museum and the art gallery when I was a child, the childrens library was behind them in another lovely old building facing the armory lawns. My father was a professor at the University of Adelaide in the 1930's 40's and 50's, he died in 1959, the year I was married, but as children the university, which in those days was very small was a second home. How it has all changed now, I hardly know my way around it.
One of the things that the art class over the week end has taught me is to take more photos of our buildings, and sketches if I can find the time.
Autumn has definetly arrived this morning, moist wet earth smells, the glory vine is turning and the little Nyssa sylvatica I have been nurturing for years in the orchard is a flame of colour, I think it has finally decided to get its roots down and live.

1 comment:

Tami said...

I also like your windows, I like the "not perfectness" of them. I, like you, am at the learning stages of watercolor, for me I am at the beginning stages for drawing also. I am really enjoying it.

I had to check the date and then your location when you mentioned the arrival of fall. In the U.S. we are just slipping into spring.

Tami