Friday, October 11, 2013

RIP Rivington Sunday

When you have animals losing them is awful, when you breed ponies it can be the most awful of all.
This is my beautiful, home bred mare 'Didi' as she was known. All of my breeding for 4 generations.
Yesterday we realised she was having a problem foaling.
A breach birth, one of the dreaded things with horses.
Vet out, dead filly foal eventually pulled after a lot of manipulation by our wonderful vet.
She was terribly tired after fighting to get this foal out.
Horses are such fragile creatures and tend not to be able to cope well. Foaling mostly takes between 20 minutes to at the most an hour, she had been trying for at least 2 hours.
Then she couldnt get up, then she really stressed out and eventually had a heart attack and died.
Some mares would take this calmly, but not this mare, shown over and over for many Champions and Supremes since a foal, she like her mother couldnt take the pain or stress.
We are all heartbroken that her life should end this way.
Never to be forgotten, my beautiful Welsh B mare.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

PamelaB said...

So sorry.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I'm so sorry, Penny. She was beautiful.

Suztats said...

I'm so sorry, Penny, for the loss of your beloved mare.
I've never had a horse of my own, but I love their grace and beauty.
Because horses are so large and seem so strong, I didn't know they were fragile creatures.
Blessings and Hugs.....

virginia said...

Dear Pen and John,

I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful mare and her foal. How sad. You must be devastated. I love the nobility of horses and often say if one loves one's cat or dog as much as I do, how must it be with a horse, where there is such a deep relationship?

Thinking of you,

With love,

Virginia