Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Ruined Abbeys, Lindisfarne and Kelso


I was really wanting to look at the Celtic heritage but of course it all gets muddled up with Normans, Romans and the Middle Ages. I did see lots of lovely ruined Abbeys and some castles, no time to sketch but I do aim to have a go at a few from my photos when I feel more up to it.
The first three of the Abbey at Lindisfarne whose history goes back a long way, venerable Bede is in there somewhere, but an incredible place for anything, on a sandy Island that you can only get to when the tide is out. Built of the lovely red sandstone it glows in the light. I also loved those celtic crosses. Much more modern than the Abbey building of course.
I find it amazing that so many of these Abbeys were built so long ago and yet they were wonderfully constructed, some like Fountains which I will put up tomorrow were absolutely magnificent and you really wonder how they were done with the relatively primitive tools that were used then.
The Abbey at Kelso is I think Norman and is made of the grey stone found in the Scottish border area. Lots more opportunities for photos and my notes say that the relatives of the Duke of Roxeburgh are buried there still.
I have spent most of the day either sneezing (hay fever) or trying to get a few things done on my sewing machine, they are nearly finished but not quite so I will talk about them when they are done.
I have had a bit of a problem with my chosen thread shredding I am not sure why as I keep them in a box in the dark but this one really didnt like me. Of course it all takes up more time re threading and not actually getting anything done.
Do click on the photos to enlarge them.



6 comments:

Wanda..... said...

You are so lucky to be able to see things of this nature in person Penny. The Abbeys are still beautiful works of art after all these years.

Karen said...

I love the old abbeys, they were the most favorite part of my trip when I last went to England.

Linda said...

What a surprise to see Kelso Abbey on your blog! Can I confess that I've never visited, although I live in Edinburgh?? I can see from your shots what I've been missing.

layers said...

When I visited Edinburgh we went through the castle overlooking that wonderful city-- I love old worn weathered rocks and so I know I would love to see these old abbeys in person. In Japan, I took lots of pictures of--- rocks :-)

annie said...

Thank you for taking us along on your trips, Penny. Much easier on my arthritis than actually being there, though I do think your enlargements awe me almost as much as being there would do. Especially Kelso, standing old and impermeable against the sky. And venerable Bede under that lovely sandstone at Lindisfarne. I love the Celtic crosses, too.
annie

Caroline said...

So beautiful, Love seeing all the pictures, I am so jealous! Hang in there with the heat!
Hope the wedding is perfect!