Thursday, January 11, 2007

Birds nest

While picking mulberries John found this nest. I had been collecting leaves from the mulberry to feed silk worms and hadnt even realised it was there. The birds had hatched and gone by the time we found it. I am not sure what bird made it, a scrub wren perhaps or a fantail. Beautifully made with white horse hair, mulberry leaves and cobwebs.
Cooler today but the garden really did take a beating, I have tried to be economic with the watering but there is such a large area that has to be done. some of the big trees are drooping as well.
My two 14 year old grand daughters came up to day, to "spend time" which is lovely, then wandered off with cocoa and self raising flour to make a cake. I made them bracelets and earrings. They are growing up so fast.

2 comments:

Teri said...

What a fun find. I love examining these nests and marvel that one or two little birds could have built it. Such engineers.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

What a lovely and informative photo. What about doing a drawing based on it. There's so many good shapes and textures.
W.