Thursday, January 15, 2015

A totally wonderful, unexpected day

I have been feeling a bit grumpy, John is still keeping me awake at night snoring with this wretched cold and although he wasnt feeling brilliant he suggested that as it was cool he would take me up to Adelaide and we would see the exhibition at the South Australian Art Gallery called Fashion Icons from the collection of the Musee des Arts Decoratifs which ends next month. I had been really wanting to see this but I was so surprised at my feelings, especially of the early stuff, up to I suppose the mid 1980's which was when I was making my own clothes, all from Vogue patterns and so many of the clothes on display were similar to ones I once made and wore. No way I could do that now. These photos are taken from the Gallery newsletter and they are, 1st photo, Christian Dior, such an iconic photo, I remember it well, 1955, photo Willy Maywald, I hope I am not breaking any laws by getting these up, but they are all so wonderful.2nd photo Yohji Yamamoto. photo Jean Tholance, isnt it yummy? This is a late one 2004. Next is another Dior, I just loved his work, photo is by Clifford Coffin 1948 L'Opera Paris and the last is another Dior Autumn - winter 1951 -52) Photo Jean Tholance. Any one who is in Adelaide it is on until the 15th February and is stunning and if you are like me made your own clothes around the time some of these were gracing the cat walk, dont delay. So a lovely but tiring day, a coffee and cake at McLaren Vale on the way home, another good place to stop, the Visitors Information Centre there. I have been complaining about our unexciting life style, cant complain today.

6 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

These photographs made me think of Audrey Hepburn. Wonderful. She used to be my idol when i had that kind of figure long ago!

Barry said...

Hi P - an outing is a grand way to lift the spirits - glad you enjoy the exhibition. B

Julie said...

Awesome!!!!!

Hildred said...

Unexpected surprises are such a delight and seem especially to be appreciated.

Jo Murray said...

Delicious dresses. I'd've been in heaven. How things have changed! Glad you got to see it.

Suztats said...

Glad you had a wonderful outing!