Tuesday, February 09, 2010

A very hot day


It has been pretty awful today and the thunderclouds have come and gone but no thunderstorms, we got to at least 38 degrees C today.
The second photo on this page is done using a water soluble film called Romeo and it is several layers of organza stitched and then the film washed away, trying to sew this in reasonably high humidity was interesting but I managed it. Now I have to do more to it cut some away with a soldering iron but I will wait until it gets a bit cooler.
The other is the cover of the other African Art books I ordered from Amazon and it arrived today. It is not the latest version or I dont think it is but this was 2nd hand and very reasonable and is a fascinating read as well.
So I have been hunkered down doing not very much apart from the textile piece and reading this book.
It is Robyn over on Artpropelled who has got me interested in African Art because she quite obviously uses many of these sculptures from different parts of Africa as inspiration in her wonderful carvings. No she doesnt copy, hers are unique and so is her style but the influence has to be there if you live on the African Continent and are interested in art.
The other book I am reading at the moment is The girl with the dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson, which I am afraid may be one of those I dont want to put down.
Adelaide tomorrow and that looks hot too but we are having a farewell lunch for a friend who is moving interstate and I must see my mother so that cant be put off.
Those dogs and cats are telling me they need feeding, I had hoped to put it off until it was a bit cooler but they have a routine!

2 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Penny, your textile painting is beautiful...you are so talented, love the colors.
I may have to read that book, I know others that like it!

Joy said...

I can't find your post where I was going to add the link to my other blog where I did a story that I thought you might like. The woman has a huge collection of African art, and I show a few of her objects in my photos. Here is the link:

http://freshairlife.blogspot.com/2009/09/from-congo-to-country.html