Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Around the garden


I have been having terrible trouble loading photos, I think because we are on wireless and when I try suddenly every one else is too so I am trying a bit earlier today.
I took these a couple of days ago, although I feel as if I havent done much I dont know where the time has gone and now I am trying to get a few more odd things made for the show in April, just when I thought I had almost finished.
John has been attacking things with the hedge clippers so luckily I took a photo of the rose at the top of the drive before he got at it, it will recover, it is that lovely old rose called Lamarque and I love her but she does grow rather well. Behind is the red cedar which I also love but is probably not a terribly suitable tree for where it is. It is a northern rainforest tree with buttressed roots!
I havent had as many belladonna lily flowers for years, I know this is a scrappy looking place for them to grow but this is what they like, dry and no grass.
Maybe I put this one up before, I cant remember, but the top of the bed looking across the drive with garlic chives and gaura flowering and the sedums all starting to flower. This bed is so dry as it has a huge lemon scented gum growing next to it so succulents like to grow here, I am at a stage of whatever makes a show stays.
The next one is of a long flowing branch of the afore mentioned gum tree, flowering over the bed and the orchard in the distance. The kikuyu grass in the lawn always greens up in a hurry if we have had rain, and although not much we have also had a few damp and foggy nights so it has greened up amazingly.
No fruit from the trees in the orchard though this year, only a hoard of brightly coloured and hungry lorikeets.
Oh and finally this fuchsia which must be the hardiest thing around, it is on the eastern side of the house and does get a bit of water, but hasnt stopped flowering, although it does get cut back a bit in winter if we have a frost.
John and I had a lovely walk along the beach this morning, such a lovely morning, blue skies, a gentle breeze and a low tide. Unfortunately it is warming up for a few days, but at least they are not forecasting over 40 degree heat.
Signs of autumn are around too, a I heard a thrush the other morning as well as some currawongs and to me that always means autumn is not far away.


No comments: