Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Special chicks and a wonderful addition to the library

The other day while walking on the beach we saw a pair of hooded plover and two newly hatched chicks. They are almost endangered, although people give numbers I still see a pair every so often on beaches around here, I think they are very shy birds but the fact that they have hatched out two on a beach frequented by many people and their dogs is a miracle of its own. OH, double click to enlarge and you will see the tiny chicks in the sea weed. Today this wonderful book came via The book depository, such a wonderful service for book lovers and without the cost of postage, I dont know how they do it. I think this cost me less than A$10 and I love it, the haiku are lovely and the illustrations are even lovelier. Hot today, a trip to Adelaide, not too bad but I am not looking forward to the one tomorrow as it will be hotter, and perhaps muggier as they are promising rain in the evening, but we are not getting excited about that. I think John said we had to have 200 ml until the end of December to make our average for the year, I doubt if we will make it. We certainly dont want it all in a few minutes in a heavy thunderstorm either. I think the weather bureau is now not sure if we will get rain at all. I would love rain, the garden needs it, the ground needs it and we are getting low in the rain water tanks. Max is telling me he wants to be fed, better go and attend to him, the chooks and Oscar the cat, who isnt looking terribly well. He is getting old and I think a bit dotty, do cats go dotty? I have never had one before who has.

5 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

My friend had a cat who the vet decided had sunk into dementia - she was a lovely old thing but began to soil everywhere, forgetting where her litter tray was. Also she couldn't find the cat flap when she wished to go outside. She was put to sleep last week, aged eighteen.

Barry said...

Hi P - love the little dudes in the seaweed - so well camouflaged. Thanks for sharing. B

virginia said...

Nino isn't dotty yet, although he lilkes to keep himself to himself and is quite set in his ways. He is thirteen or fourteen now, just like Oscar. I hope he doesn't go dotty but one never knows. He's just about as arthritic as I am and has trouble going up stairs. We're a good pair!
With lots of love,
Virginia

india flint said...

sadly those chicks didn't fledge. one was taken by an unleashed dog and the other, so i heard, by a marauding magpie

Penny said...

I wondered if they would survive, such a public beach for them to nest on, A large Pacific gull was eying them off when we saw them. Thanks for the up date India, we felt it was a priviledge to even see them.