Sunday, September 25, 2011

A short wander around the garden


Trying not to look at all the weeds that are out there!
I spent today tidying some of the area around the back door, still lots to do, but I have at least made a start and pulled out a heap of forgetmenots which although lovely in confined spaces are a nuisance.
I was interested to see that I now have three different clivias, the first one with dark flowers and tighter trumpets, a yellow one that took about 20 years to flower and never can I get a decent photo of it, it always looks washed out, then the ordinary clivia that I love as it brightens up dark corners under trees and is as tough as old boots.
The long Japanese wisteria is covering itself, I love it even though I bought it as a white and it turned out to be this very subtle blue/mauve colour. John spends his life cutting it back as it is growing over the prunus by the bedroom door, I know it will probably kill it one day but I would rather have the wisteria any way.
We went to the Native orchid show in Adelaide yesterday and I came houme with 3 new ones, this one is one of the very old dendrobium crosses, delicatum "appleblossom" I think, it grows in this hanging basket outside all year around, although we have just looked at it and are notsure how or if we should re pot as there doesnt seem to be a lot of bark around its roots.
The show was spectacular, some varieties I would love but they dont seem to become available.
I have walked twice to see the mares, I would love one of my mares to foal, but probably while I am away. We go to Melbourne for nearly a week on Wednesday so am having to organise the usual stuff, house sitter in, cat to the cattery etc and leave a moderatly clean house!


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

virginia said...

Most wonderful flowers, particularly the wisteria. Absolutely beautiful! We are going into autumn Alt Weiber Sommer - quinces are ripe and the apples are dropping off the trees. I got a huge bag of both yesterday to deal with! Presents which keep one busy till kingdom come. The birds are busy eating the sunflowers on the balcony and are roosting in the walnut tree. The rooks and crows are making a great noise. It's near the time of your last visit. Do you remember?

Love to you both,

Virginia

Suztats said...

Nice to see your flower pics as ours are fading away as fall has now arrived.

annie said...

Thanks for taking us for a trip around your garden, Penny. Just lovely...
annie

shirley said...

I have had a clivea for about 5 years with no signs of flowering I hope it doesn't take 20 years or I will be coming up to being due for letter a letter from the Queen ....or King by then.

Yours are lovely. Enjoy your trip to Melbourne.

Barry said...

P- such blooming beauty in your garden - isn't it a great time of the year for new growth. Go well and enjoy the colours of spring. B