Friday, October 24, 2008

Gesso and paper


These are some small samples i have made using Maggie Grey's book textile Translations.
On a moderately sized piece of vylene I bonded a soft table napkin with vliesofix. I then put some gesso and I think some salt around and when it was nearly dry I washed it with watercolor.
I cut this into 4 pieces and on one I just left it, one one I pained watered down pva glue to seal it, then impasto gel on another and finally gel medium. These I then sprayed with various spray paints I have like Moonshadow mist and shimmering mist.
So the top left one is sealed with impasto gel, the right top one is sealed with Gel Medium, the bottom left watered down pva and the other one with no sealant at all.
Very organic and I am sure I will be using this at some time in the future. I have yet to try sewing on them but hope to do that in the next few days.
We had visitors today, my friend Robyn and her daughter and grand children, it was lovely to see them, they were dropping off a pony to be mated and took one of ours home with them.
I have to say that we two old grandmothers find these small children a bit more of a chore than we once did!

1 comment:

Robin Mac said...

Oooh, Penny, I love these. I have finally succumbed and bought the book so now I am desperately waiting for it to arrive. Couldn't resist after all the wonderful things from it I have been seeing on all the blogs - it will be a very early Christmas present, couldn't possibly wait till then to open it! Cheers, Robin