Monday, August 14, 2006

Interesting week end

We had a very busy week end, but an enjoyable one. On Saturday we tidied the house, did some cooking in preparation for our Japanese guests on Sunday.
In the evening we went out to dinner for the South Australian Rural Women's Gathering. John with his Flerieu Regonal Development Board had to make a speech. I have never heard him booed before! Thing was it was all my fault as I told him his speech was awfully boring and he had better liven it up, eg what did he know about rural women? He said I was the rural woman he was closest too so made his speech around what a good gate opener and sheep dog I had made, but then went on to qualify it with all the positive things I had done on my own, I dont think they were listening to that part, and it makes me sad to think that they thought he was being sexist etc, when I enjoyed all the things we do and did together on the farm. How times have changed, now they all have "other jobs" and dont actually work on the farm. I suppose I was a conventional farmers wife, cooked, cleaned the house, had chooks, repaired and made clothes, made a vegetable garden and helped wherever and had 4 children to boot.
When we had some time and money to pay others to do it, I became very involved with breeding my Welsh ponies. so much so that today they are well known all over Australia, I was President of the National body and have been honored by a life membership.
I have also gone from a practical garden to one visited under the Open Garden Scheme, although age has let me down a bit there so I no longer am involved, I have gone back to my love of sewing and textiles and am having a ball in that area.
That we have gone back to hard times on the farm just means that I am back to chooks and vegetable gardens and the cheaper cuts of meat.
I think I will talk about our lovely day yesterday in another post.
Oh and I still cant get images up on my blogs, frustrating but I hope it resolves itself.

2 comments:

Jana Bouc said...

I really enjoy reading your posts and I'm glad you're back. Your life is so very different from mine here in California and it's so interesting to hear about it. It's also grand to hear your satisfaction, pride and happiness in your life.

Julie Oakley said...

This is such an interesting post, and I'm sorry but I really did have to laugh about John being misunderstood and being booed (I can imagine me doing the booing!)