Monday, February 24, 2014

Home from Grampians week end safely

Lovely class with Velma Bolyard at Hall's Gap, about a 7 hour drive away. Went with my friend P who kept me entertained on the long drive and while we were there. The weather was lovely, I didnt get to a lot of things, like art galleries as we were very busy and I did I have to admit it, get pretty tired. A full on workshop learning to make shifu, basically spinning paper into string and then weaving with it, I found the spinning with a spindle hard on my back but I will certainly do it again, I also loved making the little weaving, I wasnt sure I would finish it but I did and I like the rather rustic look to it. we made several different book styles and most of us probably chose to use the concertina style on which I tacked my little woven piece and added some other collected things for the display at the end of the 2 days. I did manage to make another tine concertina book which I tied with my paper string, and there is a small close up of what the string looks like after it is spun. Velma was a lovely giving teacher and although I tend to fade out a bit at these things I will do more when I have recovered from the long drive home. Caught up with a few fibre forum friends, sat and watched the wonderful wild life that surrounds Tim's Place where we stayed, had a welcome G & T at night and generally relaxed, until the next day. I have fed an over excited Max who nearly knocked me for 6 when I got home as well as the old pug, the chooks, the chickens are doing well, and Oscar, now to organise food for us and then bed!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

neat looking folded journal. love the pockets! such great classes you get to! very fun! i'm a wee bit jealous! ;)
xoxo-Julie

Felicity said...

you look like you had a very productive time! Isn't Velma just lovely?