Thursday, September 06, 2012

Wild and windy walk this morning

 Wow I think picasa loading to blogger has been fixed! It would be nice if they let you know.
We had a terrible day yesterday and the winds although not as strong are still there, I nearly lost my footing walking down the hill in the house paddock this morning as the wind suddenly gusted to a much stronger level than it had been.
The weather bureau tells us that the low is higher than normal and we havent had this sort of weather for 10 years. At least they are not telling us that it is unprecedented. To those of us in our 70's there is nothing new regarding weather.
My new foal seems to have survived the night, well I suppose Welsh Mountains should be used to awful weather but the only paddock available to her hasnt a lot of shelter.
It is so wet, we have had another inch or so of rain in the pasdt couple of days and the races are full of slippery mud and ruts full of water that almost go over the top of my rubber boots so getting around to see the mares is not easy.
That plus the fact that I cant see terribly well doesnt help.
The paddock where the little grey stallion is has a dam in it and also the black wattles which are in flower and a golden willow that is just bursting its buds.
His is a sheltered paddock but not safe for new foals. I also put up a female kangaroo with a large joey in her pocket but we both didnt see each other until the last moment and she was off and I was telling Max not to chase, so no chance of a photo. There was also a little grebe on the dam but the only photo I got wasnt good enough, it spent most of its time under the water.
I have a busy day ahead so off to get some jobs done now I have had a short rest from fighting the mud on the track to get back inside. Thank goodness at the moment for the walking stick which acts as a third leg and a stabilising unit.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: