Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A few things from our trip

 The top photo shows what I made in Mary Hettsmanspergers class, mostly small samples to remember what we were taught although the little bird was fun and my design, well they were all mine but he was a little different. Using different connections, and different ways of making colour.
Double click to enlarge.
Next are three different dilly bags, all pandanus I think but showing different methods, the first made by a young girl, Amanda Djorlom, I love this different weave and the use of colour. I bought this at the markets at Parap on Saturday morning
The next came from Elcho Island and unfortunately the place I got it from didnt know the maker, such a pity as it is a lovely string bag and again the use of the coloured dyes is so good. I got it from a new shop at Northcliff called Aboriginal arts of NT, I think that was the name.
The third I bought in Oenpelli (Gunbalanya) at the wonderful Injalak arts and Crafts Center. beautifully knotted by Lillian Guymala.
I was so sad when we wwere there that I didnt get to see the women weaving and be able to talk to them about the dyes they use, but I did find a good book, of course none of them, or the pandanus is available down here.
I will put up a few each day this week of the stuff I bought. I am wading through so much information, it is almost like being back there again.
Looking at the wonderful book I bought I could buy so many more baskets, I am so glad I finally bought it, I will do more on that later.
Do you suspect that I love baskets?
Today the weather here is foul, hot and very windy, I can hear the small gum nuts off the lemon scented gum banging on the roof. Of course I went out with Max and came in hardly able to breathe, The dreaded hay fever has struck again!
Off to get some ironing done as I cant go outside.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Your creations are lovely...the little bird, the wire encased stone, the pendants...well all of them are lovely pieces, Penny.

ArtPropelled said...

Ooo great to see what you've made and of course the baskets appeal to me too.

Robin Mac said...

You certainly had a very creative time while you were away, your bits are all lovely. The baskets look so interesting as well. Hope your weather improves soon. Cheers