Saturday, August 20, 2011

Damp morning at the farmes Market


It was grey and overcast and drizzly this morning when I went into the farmers market at Victor. I didnt need much as we are not home a lot in the next few days.
We lost our first foal yesterday morning, it didnt get out of the bag, always a possibility and I always think there is an underlying problem when that happens, I also think it was breach. Part of farming and raising any sort of animal. One has to get used to it and hope all is well next time.
I am rather fed up with women in particular who have this great mother hood thing about animals, there is a huge thing on at the moment about live animal exports here and those who seem to get most upset are city mothers with no idea of looking after an animal, they are lucky if they have one child and no dog or kitten. A good mouse plague would soon fix their ideas!
Farmers dont like cruelty to their animals, but we have to be pragmatic about it, things sometimes happen beyond our control, and here in this huge country, live animal exports, be they cattle or sheep are part of our economy. A very important part of our income is selling dairy heifers overseas, and at the prices they pay they certainly get looked after. We wouldnt survive if we didnt have that trade as we certainly dont get paid enough for our milk. Sometimes I think Auistralians want farmers to go broke, and only import all their food.
Enough of my rant.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

jamell1 said...

It's always sad when an animal dies, but I love your blogs and pictures such a beautiful place you live and it's nice to hear you stuck up for farmers every where. keep it up Judie,

Wanda..... said...

Most of the small farms and family run stores are a thing of the past, very thankful for the orchards, winery, vegetables, chickens and eggs that are grown locally here. My great uncle used to have a dairy farm, I loved to visit him as a child!

annie said...

My sympathy, Penny. It's always sad for us to lose an animal on this farm/ranch. People who do not live on a farm really can't fathom what is involved in making it go. Not unless they are closely acquainted with farmers and ranchers.

annie

shirley said...

Good for you Penny...rant all you like on the subject I am with you....i want our farmers to survive so i can eat food I can trust. i have just discovered that the old brand of Pascall lollies that we have known all our lives are not made in China....needless to say i put them back on the shelf and bought Allens brand that are made in Australia.
I dont even buy New Zealand now because i heard they import veges and then export the stuff as their own..