Wednesday, March 04, 2009

no photos but a poem

In this months Adelaide Review Shirley Stott Despoja bemoaned the fact that it was hard to find a suitable poem for her granddaughters naming day but she finally found this one which I think is so apt

FOR A FAVORITE GRANDDAUGHTER
by Dorothy Parker

Never love a simple lad,
Guard against a wise,
Shun a timid youth and sad,
Hide from haunted eyes.

Never hold your heart in pain
For an evil-doer;
Never flip it down the lane
To a gifted wooer.

Never love a loving son,
Nor a sheep astray,
Gather up your skirts and run
From a tender way.

Never give away a tear,
Never toss a pine;
Should you heed my words, my dear,
You're no blood of mine!

I hope you like it. I did.

1 comment:

Robin Mac said...

I love it too Penny. Is Shirley a relative of Natasha? Cheers, Robin