Friday, March 06, 2009

Last nights function


Some one else paid for us to go to this, I had no intention of driving nearly 2 hours to see the former Prime Minister at a tribute to the former Foreign affairs Minister as I have already been to a couple of these before, Alexander Downer was our local Federal MP and I like and respect him but any way for a glass of champagne and four bits of finger food I am not sure it was worth it. Although the speeches were very funny.
I did shake John Howard's hand and reminded him that I had sat next to him many years ago at a thing at Victor when Alexander was briefly the Opposition Leader, I didnt expect him to remember it although it always left me with a lasting impression of a nice man.
When John was Mayor I met all sorts of people.
So I took some photos, it was freezing cold and was supposed to be a garden party and the women to wear cocktail dresses, those that did got wet and froze. A lovely restored house and garden nearly at the top Of Mt Lofty. I loved the cast iron work on the top of the conservatory, and somehow got Johns face, sorry about that and I believe the Opposition Leader as well.
The other one was of the rather Jane Austin interior, not my style but I suppose people who restore these houses think that is what they should do, of course originally it wouldnt have looked like this at all.
At this stage I was squashed against a door as it really started to rain outside and every one made a rush for the inside.
We have had 17 mm of rain which is lovely but incredibly you kick the soil and under the top centimeter or so it is dry
I am having to feed a zillion ponies as the family have gone to Victoria to try their luck at the National Welsh Show. I will be glad when they get home as tossing hay around is playing merry hell with my back.
I am also in panic mode as we head for Queensland on Tuesday and I have so much to do before I leave, but at least I did manage to vaguely get the house looking neat and clean so one thing off the list.
I also see what looks like a cyclone off the Queensland coast, could make life interesting, wet and humid I would think.

2 comments:

Robin Mac said...

Oh my gosh, Penny, you do choose your time well. This cyclone looks like being a doozer, we are starting to wonder when we begin moving everything, hopefully you will be far enough south of the main action not to be badly affected. Cheers, Robin

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip and stay safe.

Love the staircase, glad it's not my house to clean.