Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My first proper flower painting


Well this is my first "proper" flower painting. I didnt think that I wanted to paint flowers, after all every one (female) around here paints flowers (we have quite a big but elderly painting community here). I found I really enjoyed this very free and relaxing way of painting.
I did four paintings in all, all watercolour, all various stages of good and bad but it was a fun two days. I am having trouble getting up the nerve to put in the darks in the right place and the vases of flowers we had to paint were not easy and some were done without blocking in first, the one I like best I did last but that will be for another day.
My friend Wendy did some wonderful stuff, she hasnt used watercolour much before but is a brilliant decorative artist and has been painting for most of her life, unlike me. This is only my 3rd watercolour class.
The weather has been freezing cold, again, and I have had to get up and be out so early in the mornings so tomorrow I think I will be having a bit of a slow day.
I came home feeling very pleased with myself, now to keep up with the practice.

7 comments:

Teri said...

Penny, these flowers are so fresh and pretty. You really did a great job in that class.

Anonymous said...

Your painting is really fantastic, Penny! I love your choice of colours and the simplicity of the whole composition.
I wish I could have been in that class with you, you make it sound like it was lots of fun!

Sue Seibert said...

Penny, your painting is quite lovely!

Penny said...

Nice composition!

Shelly McC said...

WoW! Gorgeous painting!

ken said...

Thanks very much for your kind comments on my blog, especially as it's lead me to yours! Everything I like best - botanicals, landscapes, sketches and more besides. The style is something else, words fail me, I love it.
Best wishes and kind regards

Anonymous said...

This a remarkable early effort Penny. What talent you have. One of the loveliest watercolours of flowers I have seen. Keep up the fanatastic work.