Sunday, May 21, 2006

Aboriginal rock paintings, watercolour of cliffs




These rock paintings were quite incredible, they call the hands stensils but there is also an axe there as well. I dont know if any one knows how old they are, I did enhance them in photo shop as the ochre has faded quite a lot. There were three places where these paintings were in the Carnarvon Gorge National Park that you could get to see, some had carvings as well, all in overhangs facing the morning sun and not far from the creek.
The watercolour of the cliffs was fun to do, probably dont look like cliffs but to me that is what they looked like from a distance.
Bother the images dont seem to come in the order I put them up. Any way this young kookaburra (laughing jackass) was very tame and when I sat on the verandah of our tented cabin to paint he came to watch and was only a few feet away. We also had a kangaroo who ate very noisily all night right next to our heads, or that is the way it sounded and he was still there the next morning having kept us awake half the night. Some where I have his photo too.
I am on the last stages of packing to go tomorrow, I will try to get one more bit on Queensland up on my blog before we go, organised for the cat, the dogs to be fed and the ponies, have packed more stuff to do than to wear I think, also two loaves of bread!! A request came that if the breadmaker wasnt coming could I at least make some bread to take with me.
We have also been out and bought John two new fishing rods as his were too long to take on the aircraft, packing them has been an interesting exercise too! ( I think this was a good excuse for new rods).

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Lovely painting, Penny. You have captured the country essence with a wonderful simplicity. Congratulations!

Cheers,
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles

Felicity Grace said...

Fascinating photos and love the way you have used your paints. Just thought I would pass on a tip re the photos. When you up-load them (they are always skew wiff!!) go to edit html - it's a tab above the tool bar - and you can copy/paste or cut/paste to move the photos around in the order you want. Go to compose to go back to the normal screen. HTH - it sure saves a lot of time!