Thursday, August 15, 2013

I have been busy

 It has not been terribly good weather for doing much outside and John has been busy with tax so no outings.
Penny from Tanglewood Threads blog ( sorry Penny I cant get my link thing to work) in Nova Scotia has a lovely idea for doing a year long embroidery diary and in talking to her about it I mentioned that I was a cloth doll maker and going on this retreat next week and she asked did I know of Margi Hennen who was a friend of hers, One of my first dolls was made from a pattern I made up using one of her dolls for inspiration, back I think around 1997 and I still have that doll, must take its photo, any way I looked at Margi's site and loved what I saw, I drew up these small dolls as prototypes and they are so much fun. I really think I like to make these rather primitive fun dolls as against the dolls I will be making next week, sorry the photo isnt the best. the older I get the less easy it is to make small fingers etc.
so in the middle is Una who was invited to a party but had nothing to wear so had herself tattooed all over.
On the left is Megs who thought she looked rather it and a bit but isnt sure about the h and bag now, when she bought it she thought it would be wonderful but now worries it is a bit big and furry.
On the right is Pansy who would really rather be blending in in her garden than having to go shopping.
I do hope Margi Hennan doesnt mind.
Then the bit of embroidery, this is a practice run for the real thing and I did have fun trying out some stitches and doing a doll shape for the comission I have been asked to do I know this is a bit of a mess the real thing looks better and I will put that up when week one is finished..
So that is my few days, grass is growing, magpies are caroling and birds are racing around with twigs in their beaks, starting to nest.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Your trio of dolls are so charming Penny. Love the striped legs. The birds are busy picking up twigs for nests here too.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Penny, your little dolls are adorable. so much character and I love your bio for each one. cheers!

Unknown said...

love the dolls! and every time I see your embroidery I think I should start again and then I remember how lousy my vision and fingers are. So, I'll just enjoying looking at yours. xox