Sunday, April 15, 2012

I have been away, now I am back, sort of.

 Thank you to every one who sent such lovely thoughts our way. I have appreciated it.
Stewies body was recovered on Easter Sunday so at least we had closure, his parents had been out of communication for a week but are home now.
I was already organised to go to Ballarat Fibre art week, and in the end the decision was to go, we knew that even if he was found there would be a coronial enquiry and that a funeral as such would not be happening in a hurry. His parents needed time to recover where it happened on their own.
We are all now home but still not sure what will happen.
I think I would have gone mad wandering around the house in limbo. As it was I had the most supportive community of fibre friends that apart from a few, I see once a year, they kept me busy and I was so tired at night I only had a few bad moments.
The friend I went over with was worried that on her own she wouldnt go, but it was nice to chat about our art and other much more mundane things on the 8 hour drive over and then back again.
My class with the wonderful Dorothy Caldwell couldnt have been better, we stitched and made marks and told silly jokes and kept ourselves very busy.
I think the support of those friends was a great eye opener that will stay with me forever and I had bought a book that the lovely Jen Crosslety had made and every one wrote in it, a treasured momento of those few days.
the collage above is made up of part of the journey we made,the first two and the last one which is a double of the first, were of the the morning after we had heard of the accident and John and I walked the cliffs here. Then on Easter Sunday in one of the small towns we passed through there was this wonderful display of rabbits. From there to the Ballarat Grammar school, some of the lovely little things we would find around the school in the mornings, the sheep at Kaniva and the broad plains on our way home.
Again, thank you to all who posted, I know that this week I have to come down to earth and face reality.
This was the grandson I really didnt know, a bit of a bad boy, but to go at 17 is far too young, when I think of the risks we took and managed to get through them, the only way I can think of this is, and it is something I have always thought, if your time is up, then so be it.
As a grandparent I can say it, as a parent, it is far harder to come to terms with.
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Kate North said...

Hi Penny - haven't been reading blogs much lately so only just saw this and your previous post. So sorry to hear of your loss; what a terrible thing to happen. Hugs from across the oceans.

ArtPropelled said...

I emailed you before seeing this. So glad you had such a supportive group around you this last week.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Thank you for sharing your week with us. When we lost our son Rob it was the most dreadful experience, yet there were times when I did feel at peace. Somehow we got through that process though there are still times when we say - why did it happen to a young man. Take care of yourself Penny.

PamelaB said...

Welcome back Penny,time does heal. Be kind to yourself. Pam

Jo Murray said...

It is sad to lose someone so young, but you have found much support from friends near and far. I wish you happier times Penny, and look forward to you being back 'on form'.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Penny, I hope your family are able to cope and handle this.

Your grandson was far too young.. Youth are so adventurous.
I have an 18 yr old son and I know he feels he is invincible..

izzy said...

We lost 3 cousins - all from the same family- over course of 20 years. 2 to motorcycles and one to a car accident. two were teens and
one in low 20's. alcohol? maybe 1 or 2... So unbelievable. Blessings.

Doreen G said...

Take care Penny and know that you are thought of with much love by all who know you.

Lins Artyblobs said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. x

Hashi said...

Hugs to you and John, and all your family.

Hildred said...

Dear Penny, I missed your last post and didn't know of your loss. We are so sorry. When we are young we feel invincible, as someone else has said, and many of us take incredible risks which sometimes end up in great sadness for our families. Our sincere condolences.

Julie said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is unimaginable. God bless you and your family.

Suztats said...

Penny I am so sorry that this came to be. Such sadness for a life cut too short. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

annie said...

Penny, I haven't been online and didn't catch this tragic news. I am so sorry to hear about your grandson.
To lose our children is more than we can bear.

Love and prayers for you and your family and hugs from Texas,

annie

Wanda..... said...

I knew your absense confirmed your fears. Sorry for the loss of one so young...same age as one of my grandsons. Can only imagine the heartache your family is feeling. You have been in my thoughts, Penny. I know it was hard to deal with, but so good for you to have many friends to comfort you! Take care.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Hi Penny: Robyn sent me to your other blog to see your book made from mark making, so of course I found this post too, and will add my heartfelt sympathies to you and the young mans parents. I am so sorry for your loss.
Years ago when my Mom was leaving the earth, I was in a pottery class throwing pots in the evenings. It "saved" me. Art does save lives.