Tuesday, November 26, 2019

A great few days away at the International Welsh Show in Sydney

I feel a bit as if I have been run over by a bus, 3 am Friday, 4 am Saturday, 8 am Sunday and 2.15 am Monday were all rather tiring. I havent been to Sydney for years and years, had forgotten how big it is. We stayed with M and D who live out in a lovely valley in the mountains at Wyong Creek (near the big bushfires but luckily the weather had cooled and they had all slowed down a bit) . From the airport to their home seemed to be a long, long way. Beautiful area but oh needs rain. Sarah was helping to wash the mares and foal and then lead the foal at the show. I didnt do a lot as for me this is a long day. M and D had other friends staying too so not a very early night. An hour and a half drive the next morning to get to the show grounds, early morning, looked lovely, loos a fair way away and that made my life a bit interesting. Found a seat, bit far from the rings but under cover with a group of New Zealanders on one side and young Welsh people on the other. I caught up with people, not perhaps as many as I would like as I cant stand for long, my stick does help a bit. Some really lovely ponies there and it was great to hear our Rivington prefix over the loud speaker every so often. Congratulations to those who made it. I didnt always agree with the judging but it is always ones own opinion on the day. My other daughter Tabby and her daughter Celina had made the very long drive over with the Cob stallion and a filly. We were so pleased that the stallion was 2nd in a class of five, and good ponies at that. The little filly was 3rd in her class. A very long day so much so that they tried to judge the Supremes in the dark and finally sense prevailed and they went up to the indoor arena. Although we had paid for dinner as Sarah was leading for someone and we were so tired we just wanted to get home. Nearly midnight when we did. Next morning we headed off to see Stud that seemed to be a million miles away, some lovely ponies when we got there, more New Zealanders visiting too. A great day but I was in bed by 8pm. Next morning the early start to get the 6.20 plane home. Felt so sorry for M and D as the amount of driving from their lovely place too and from the airport was huge. I got home and after unpacking and washing collapsed. I am still doing that today although we did do a cold walk on the beach this morning. I think another couple of days may see me back to normal. I hope but I am left with memories of lovely people, beautiful ponies and a brilliant if exhausting few days.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Hi P - sounds exhausting but worth the early mornings and heaps of driving etc. Hope there is enough cool weather to enable you to recharge and get back into balance. B