Sunday, June 16, 2013

Weaving ikat


We went to a factory where the single weave ikat is made.
The first photo is how they paint the design, I am not absolutely sure how this is done and I think in the next phot it shows the start of a design done with plastic rope, then the actual weaving itself on large looms with the threads of the design hanging on the end of the looms and finally a shot across the area with the bycicles that are used for I think putting the thread onto cones.
I got very confused about all of this as I am not a weaver but the results were lovely.
It may be better to google more info on this.
We were told that the man who owns all of this is not a happy man as he has no sons to pass it on to.
Happens everywhere I suppose.
Trying to get my act together today, the power will be off tomorrow from 8 am so I have done some ironing, a bit more washing, and put the casserole I made yesterday into freezer containers and frozen them.
Some bread is baking and I have another load of washing drying.
At least it has been a lovely sunny day today, but that probably means we will start to have frosts as well.
I hope to be back on the computer in a weeks time. there is still more of the Bali photos to come.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very interesting, I would have loved to been there with you on your visit.

ArtPropelled said...

This must have been an interesting visit. Looking forward to the rest of the photos later.

Robin Mac said...

You certainly packed a lot into your visit Penny. I hope you are fit enough to be back on the computer in a week. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Fascinating process!

Barry said...

P - an amazing experience - a different take on the usual holiday - lucky you. Go well. B

Hildred said...

Thanks Penny, - as a weaver this is most interesting.