Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Dark thoughts


Yesterday was a day to get things organised, spend time beading with two of my grand daughters and think about my journey in to "blogland" if there is such a word. A few years ago I had a garden, my ponies, my pugs and I knitted. Today I have one spare bedroom which is now my workroom,three sewing machines, a backpack full of pencils, paints and on the go journalling stuff and no where to put anything, papers in one room, materials and doll making stuff in another, knitting wools, stamps, paints, paintbrushes, beads and more beads as well as laces and trims. What happened? The garden is a jungle, I have no time to walk, my brain is spinning with all this new found knowledge. I just wish I had started 30 years ago as now at 66 I feel that I am running out of time fast and I must get so much done. It is a relief at times just to sit and read, think, walk on a beach, talk to friends. I really must find time to be more organised so I do have time for the slower stuff.
I think that losing most of the sight in one eye made me feel that I havent as much time as I thought and what if the other eye goes. Well hopefully at least I will have filled in so much in the last 10 years that when the time comes to sit I will have plenty to think about.
I think also that having a 93 year old mother who is slowly and painfully losing her independence makes one think about what is to come in the future.
I spent time cleaning up the garden so here is a photo of what it looked like in spring, just to take my mind off this rather dreary entry.

3 comments:

Terri said...

It's never too late to begin a creative way of life Penny. :o) And judging by your mother's age, you will have many many years ahead to enjoy it.

Susan Hosken said...

I've never read a person's blog from the start so here goes...today i read the first entry a beginning. Already I am inpspired about my play space, being 51 and getting older, my nearly to be 80 year old mum....I just dragged out some beads to decorate my first cloth doll in a long time...it's going to be a pleasure getting to know you through your blog Penny.
lots of love from Susan in Australia

Diana Studer said...

Have been skimming back thru your posts from a (new to my blog?) commenter.

I am also in my mid-sixties but vividly inspired by my mother - who lived thru one hundred Christmases, but carefully avoided the hundredth birthday hype.
When she turned 60 she taught herself Russian. My 'achievements' are learning to blog and computer, with a weekly fynbos hike - not nearly so impressive ;~)