Friday, January 27, 2006

Australia Day



Yesterday was Australia Day and it was very hot, 43degrees C in the Valley. We were up early to see the Ceremonies in Victor, where it wasnt much cooler. We went to see one of our old neighbours receive her award, when we were first married many years ago I would go to Irma for advice, this city girl who new nothing about wood stoves, one of her best bits of advice was to feel the handle of the stove and at one temperature you put in a roast and at another the scones. I could never get it right, and was so pleased when we finally got electicity.I have put up a photo of her receiving her award from the Mayor.
It was too hot to do much in the afternoon and so I decided to draw the telivision set which is one of the EVM things for this week. I am not very good at things front on but here it is. Showing an appropriate advertisement. I am afraid I sketch with a pen on a very small book I carry with me as the size is convenient. Hope it comes out.
The hens laid two eggs again today. The vegetable garden is not sure what to do with this weather but we have cucumbers and tomatoes. Lovely to have fresh stuff.

4 comments:

Karen Winters said...

Penny, so glad you drew your television, even though the weather is stifling. With the vegetable garden in full swing it might also be a good time to do that 'draw a vegetable challenge'. You could have fun with that, seeing them on the vine!

Lin said...

Lovely sketch -- I think you've captured your TV and the little adornments on its top very well!

Marilyn said...

I like your TV. I think the sketch is quite charming.

Linda said...

Oh, here in the cold land of winter I'm envious of your fresh vegetables! Karen's right -- you should draw them on the vine. And how fun to have chickens laying! Aren't those fresh eggs marvelous? Will you be posting a photo of your journal cover so we can see it? I'm curious!
Keep up the good work! :-)